Year in Videogames: 2020

 

INSERT GENERIC STATEMENT ABOUT THE STATE OF THE WORLD IN 2020, however videogames helped me get through it.  Thankfully, my kids are usually asleep by 8PM and I had a few months of less than fulltime employment to make it one of my bigger years in gaming.

EDITORS NOTE: I play games until I am done with them, which is not always when I finish them.  If I don’t have enough of an opinion for a review it is left off this list.  Also it’s a 2020 game if I play it in 2020, release dates are not factored in.

YAY OF THE YEAR.  Microsoft Gamepass.

NAY OF THE YEAR.  Launch line ups and stock availability of new consoles.

2020 Games of the Year:

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Steamworld Dig 2
3. Gears Tactics
4. INSIDE
5. Death Stranding

SteamWorld Dig 2

2D exploration game.  Loved the first one, loved the second one

9/10

INSIDE

Played this on a lark and really enjoyed it.  Has a beautiful black and white art style, simple mechanics and a 3 hour playtime which is perfect for me.  It explains nothing which I enjoyed putting my own story on it.

9/10

Death Stranding

If I would have stuck with this one it would have been my game of the year.  Very fitting play for pandemic times and just my kind of weird.  I only stopped playing because I was sick of sitting in front of my PC for that long and it is not on Xbox. 

8/10

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Command and Conquer Remastered

Remember these games?  They shined them up a bit.

8/10

Cyberpunk 2077

It does not run great on base consoles, played 6 hours streaming on Stadia, 20 hours on Xbox One X and 20 hours on Xbox Series X.  The game is buggier than a Fallout game, but the gunplay and story make up for it.  I am having a really good time however I understood this thing would be bug city.  I am actually seeking out side quests which I never do.  I have high confidence that the game will be patched for the next year, I am not offended if you wait until then to play it.

8/10

Gears 5

I did the campaign last year but have been doing horde mode as it shows off my Xbox Series X nicely.  I am having a great time with it and would love it if I could get the gang back together like I did for Gears 4 (through purchasing everyone the game who was in my wedding).

8/10

Tetris® Effect: Connected

Great version of Tetris Effect which is a trippy version of tetris.  It has a really fun coop version of Tetris online as well.

8/10

Gears Tactics - Base Game

This was great.  A simpler XCom and a really good use of the Gears of War license.  It should have had a multiplayer or horde mode.  Other than that I can’t complain.

8/10

Battletoads and Streets of Rage 4

Two belated sequels to 90’s classics.  Loved the art style and jokes in Battletoads, loved the faithfulness to the source material in Streets of Rage 4.

8/10

Animal Crossing and Pokemon Go!

These are my #2 and 3 most played games of the year, the turnip game hooked me.  What unhooked me are the quality-of-life omissions that made the game feel like having a second job instead of a second life.  I am leaving these off my list as it really was a routine instead of a gaming experience.

7/10

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™

In a game rut I went back to this one and really enjoyed it.  I would like more Splinter Cell games in this action oriented style. 

7/10

Injustice™ 2

I like buying these fighting games with a story once they hit $10.  Rushed through it on easy but still it took 4-5 hours.  I wish all fighting games handled single player in this fashion.  Garbage at videogames so multiplayer will never be touched.

7/10

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

This was the best 3 week game I’ve ever played.  They need more courses and shorter load times.

7/10

Yakuza 0

First Yakuza game and possibly the only one.  Japan, story and characters were awesome while the fighting was tolerable.  I would like these games to be under 20 hours and have an English dub option but I really enjoyed what was there.

7/10

Hotshot Racing

Well done arcade throwback racer.  I would have liked it better if it would have went for a Daytona USA look rather than a Virtua Racing look. 

7/10

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville™

It’s more PvZ shooting, I would like a world where this was as popular as Overwatch because it has a similar feel.  Not much has changed, did not play as much due to lack of time and other games available.

6/10

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order™

It’s well done but too slow for me.  Rise of Skywalker really hurt my interest in Star Wars.

6/10

Battlefield™ V

I did not get into this as much as I thought I would.  I enjoyed the single player of Battlefield 1 but this didn’t grab me. 

5/10

Haven

Interesting indie game, the battle system was basic and the art style was interesting.

5/10

Watch Dogs: Legion

Possibly disappointment of the year as I really enjoyed the first 2.  You can play as anyone in this game but all it seems to do is reduce the story to fill in the blank nothingness.  This leaves the gameplay which did not seem to evolve since the first game.  London is not an interesting location to me and the Brexit references were kind of on the nose.

4/10

The Touryst and Untitled Goose Game

Cute indie/puzzle games, not for me.

6/10

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man Of Medan

Tell Me Why

Putting these both together as they hit similar functions.  Man od Medan has actual actors and a decent budget but it’s a horror movie that doesn’t let you stray too far off the path.  Tell me Why is a coming of age story in videogame form, low budget but it lets you explore and get weird with it.  I want more of these games that can be completed quickly, tell their story and get out of the way.  Gamepass is perfect for this type of game.

6/10

Control

The controls in this game were a bit “loose” for my liking and I ended up only getting 70% through it.  I may go back as the story and style were interesting. 

6/10

DOOM Eternal

I was excited for this one as I loved DOOM 2016 however it quickly handed me my butt on easy mode.  They need a mode that’s easy but makes you feel like a BA.  The game looked, ran and felt great though.

5/10

Wasteland 3 (Xbox One)

Turnbased strategy style game was up my alley but the small fonts and characters kept me from immersing myself in it.  My whole party got wrecked in a mission because I couldn’t see the map clearly and after that I uninstalled.

I bet it is great on PC but I’m not interested.

5/10

Darksiders Genesis and Minecraft Dungeons

Cheap Diablo clones

4/10

Two Point Hospital™

Great hospital management sim in the vein of Theme Park.  Writing is hilarious.

8/10

Marvel's Avengers and Wolfenstein: Youngblood

If they wouldn’t have tried to graft a Destiny loot style game on to this it would have been good.  I recommend watching the story cutscenes on YouTube instead of playing.

4/10

Borderlands 3

I thought I wanted more of this but was wrong.

4/10

Grounded - Game Preview

Honey I Shrunk the Minecraft…. Not for me.

3/10

Rock Band 4

Enjoyed bringing my 300 songs over from previous rock bands (bought it on sale during the last week you could export your songs) however instruments are impossible to get without paying a massive upcharge to it sits unplayed.

0/10

 

Comments