Year in Videogames 2021

Somehow videogames became a small part of my career in 2021.  Hoping it grows into something "real real" but happy with progress and willing opportunities into existence.  As for what I played, it seemed like a lot before I started typing.  Here is the list, over half of them didn't come out in 2021 but I'm keeping up the best I can.


If there is a theme to this year it is being in awe of Xbox Game Pass and still waiting for a true next gen experience.

  1. Mass Effect Legendary Edition


My original plan was to replay the trilogy 1 at a time with a game in between but I decided to complete them in a row while the story and decisions were still fresh.  


Mass Effect 1 has not aged well gameplay wise but everything else is even better than it was during original release.  They play like butter on new consoles and the load times are very quick.  There is something special in these games with the amount of choice offered but still under control from a narrative and gameplay standpoint.  I enjoyed the follow up in Andromeda but it will never hang with the original trilogy.


Good and bad memories flooded in from my life that took place during the original play through which was cool too.  First time playing the DLC (which is now included) and most of it holds up as well.


They should have remasted Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, and I dream of letting you co-op the action levels online with friends which also did not happen. 


  1. Fortnite


Sadly what brought me to this game was the Ariana Grande concert but I stuck around for the speed and tuning of gameplay that was built perfectly for me.  Also the quests gave me something to do aside from being shot at.  Still doing my dailys, I'll probably fall off soon but I plan on coming back to it every few seasons.


From a business perspective it's crazy all the IP they have in this game and how frequently it is updated.


  1. Halo Infinite


The king is back for the first time since Halo 3.  The open world is great but it would be intolerable if it wasn't for the addition of the grappling hook which gives the whole franchise a new lease on life.  It allows the fast mobility while still keeping you grounded with the old school movement speed and "30 seconds of fun."


Why isn't it number one?  Story was … ok.  Better than 4 or 5.  Multiplayer is… not for me.  Co-Op was… not included with release.  Also you can tell so much content was hacked off to either get it in a shipable state or allow the game to be more of a "live service."


Excited for the future of Halo which is something I haven't said since 2007.


  1. Forza Horizon 5


I'm not sure if I can complain about Forza Horizon being more of the same since what was there was perfect.  The new console horsepower helps make it even more of a driving dreamland.  I would like split screen multiplayer but other than that I can't really think of how to improve it.


  1. Persona 5 Strikers


I would follow the dumb characters from Persona 5 anywhere, even to a really cheap Dynasty Warriors game.  The good news is that the game is only 40 hours long.  The bad news is that the game is still 40 hours long.  The story is a great dessert to the main course of Persona 5 proper.  


It had a low budget and not all the Persona mechanics translate well to a beat em up.  The dream is to move this franchise into a Yakuza style game but this is pretty close.


  1. Deus Ex MD and HR


Another replay and possibly the first games I played on my Xbox Series X.  They hold up about as well as Mass Effect although I would like more story decisions in addition to the combat decisions.


A definite recommend for anyone who was disappointed with Cyberpunk 2077.  


We need a 3rd game to wrap up the story.


  1. Animal Royale


A cute overhead battle royale that I tried on a lark.  It eventually led me to fortnite but there is a good game here.


  1. Astros Playroom


I think this is my only real PS5 experience since I fell off Spiderman.  Great use of controller and respect for history of Playstation brand.  Nintendo could do this, charge $60 for it and it would be top selling game of year.


  1. MS Flight Simulator


More of a technical wonder than anything I'm actually interested in.  Thank God for gamepass and for Microsoft investing in this type of stuff.


  1. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2


Bought this for nostalgia and to try and hook some skateboarding guys in a work project I'm doing.  They skateboard guys didn't try it but it was great going back.  Not sure how to get split screen multiplayer working or if it actually exists.


  1. Judgment


Yakuza style game that I fell off from 10 or so hours in.  Graphics and style were great.  I like it more in theory than playing it.


  1. Mortal Kombat 11


I had such a great time with MK10, this was a bit of a let down but there is still something great about how they are handling story in a fighting game.  Give this team a movie or netflix series.


  1. Death Stranding


Played it last year, fell off.  Played it this year, fell off.  One day Kojima, one day.


  1. Pschonauts 2


Definition of something I want to like more than I like.  Maybe I don't jive enough with humor or mechanics to stick with it but it is no doubt a well done game.


  1. XCOM 2


Is this game more punishing than the first one?  Because it feels like it.


Games I bought but did not play yet.

  1. Life is Strange - True Colors

  2. Guardians of the Galaxy


Comments